Saturday, November 20, 2010

Never Say Never

So I love some of my friends blogs that I have been reading about "never saying never." Oh how this was me...about 21 months ago! My mom laughs almost every day and says "this is what you get for always saying..."my child will not act that way!" Oh I was such a good mom before Wade was born and Wade was the perfect sweet angel I always imagined. Yesterday really made me realize just how wrong I was all the times I said "mine will not do that."

Here are just a few examples...
-My child will not scream out in restaurants...he will sit in his highchair until we are all done (yea right who ever eats and gets done first takes wade out to run around most of the time.)
-He will always ride in a stroller or a cart and sit there peacefully!! ( I will say he loves to ride in the cart most of the time but does not love his stroller.)
-He will not hit, bite or throw things. (He does all of this on a daily basis)
-He will not throw his food. ( This one makes me laugh because what he will do is say "do not do that" and then he will proceed to dump his food into the floor and laugh. This one makes me the most mad!!
- I will never try to bribe my child to be good or buy him things just because he wants it ( actually I did not give in last night but Josh bought wade a stuffed animal because Wade took it up to the register and said "buy it" "buy it" The best part is that it is a pink monkey!!)

Oh I know there are so many I am forgetting. I really think I have learned so much in the last 20 months. I know that I have more sympathy for mom's when their child is screaming or acting out in public. Now I just laugh because I have been there too! Last night was a classic example of my great parenting skills. We went to the mall last minute and I was already worn out from the day. Since we were not planning on going we did not have a stroller (this is mistake # 1.) Well Wade had been pretty good yesterday and has been taking great naps even over 3 hours! So we decided to get him a cookie for a special treat (mistake # 2.) Well we don't give him sugar unless it comes from fruit or a granola bar. He only had one of the little bite size sugar cookies but you would have thought is was one of those huge cookie sandwiches that were full of icing the way he started acting. He started running everywhere probably as fast as he has ever ran!! Thank goodness Josh was there because I couldn't keep up with him.

Finally after we found and bought "banana"  Wade's new pink monkey toy he calmed down and sat on Josh's shoulders for a few minutes. Well we made the mistake to put him back down and he went crazy again. This time dragging that pink monkey all over the mall floor and even throwing and fetching him throughout the mall. I know we sounded crazy saying "wade pick up your pink monkey right now!" We were those people that I used to stare at and say "my child will not act that way." So if we tried to take "banana" (Josh and wade named him) away Wade would have a little fit and scream. Oh what a fun time. Well if things could not get any worse Josh was paying for some shoes and I had to take Wade out of the store because he was laying down in the middle of the store on his back (why I do not know?) So I decide to take him out of the store to let him walk (yea right) around. Well I must have grabbed the Tasmanian devil instead because he took off so fast a nice guy actually playfully got in front of him to stop him for me because I was running down the ramp after him. So I finally grab him and he stops and relaxes for a second and then took off in the opposite direction. Well this time he was not running so fast thankfully but he was knocking down two signs in the meantime. Those cardboard signs outside of stores and stands that are impossible to stand back up. So picture me trying to stop him while holding our stuff and then trying to pick and stand these signs back up. Well I got one back up but the other one just had to lay there. If he wasn't so heavy and my hands were not full I would have just carried him around.

After about loosing it (the signs were the last straw) I saw a glimpse of heaven! Gymboree!! I remembered they have a little TV in there. So I grabbed him and drug him into the store and told him to sit down and to not get up. He actually did pretty good after he got the chair re-arranged the way he wanted. Of course Josh was done just a couple of minutes after that. On the way home he was a little show off spelling his name and counting to 10. He is also really close to knowing his ABC's so he wanted to sing that. I think he was sucking up to us because he knew we were a little frustrated. All we could do is laugh. We felt like teenage parents who didn't have a clue to what we were doing.

When we got home Wade had his milk and then asked to go "night night" it was 9pm which is an hour later than his normal bedtime. He did the funniest thing ever. He was in his crib and I was just talking away to him and he looks at me and says "cose the door" and I said excuse me and he said "mommy cose the door." I think he had worn himself out at the mall and did not even want to talk to me. We have always put him to sleep awake and we always close his door when he sleeps. I guess he likes it that way. I am so happy he is so easy to put to bed!! I may do the rest of my Christmas shopping online!!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha :) Ohhhh I cant wait til Cole starts throwing his food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Bless Your Heart! You are not alone though!

    ReplyDelete