Saturday, January 8, 2011

Its the little things!!

So I have had quite a few people ask me lately about Josh and I's date nights so here goes...when we were pregnant with Wade we decided that we would make time for just each other every week. Now the first 8-12 weeks were much harder to get away so I think we started this when he was around 3 months or so. Now don't get me wrong we love wade more than pretty much anything (now diet mt dew is a close second and by the way I only had one last week when we ate out...I used to have one or two daily.) Obviously I am only kidding but diet Mt Dew is high on my list of things I love. So back to the point. A girl that I used to work with in Greenville taught me a lot about the type of parent I needed to be. Unfortunately I watched as her marriage pretty much fall apart after they had a child. Her little boy became first in her life...she did everything for and with him, showered with him and slept with him every night instead of her husband. When I left Greenville he was 4 and she was still sleeping with him. So after watching how this could really destroy a marriage Josh and I decided to always put each other first. I will tell you God has really blessed our marriage so much from doing this. Is it hard sometimes when it is 815p and Wade is crying in his crib because he doesn't want to go to bed, Yes. However we know that is an appropriate time for a almost 2 yr old to go to sleep and it gives us time alone every night before we go to bed. Or when he whine's the entire way to church and says "no church." It would be easier not to go but I always tell him "daddy and mommy need to go to church together."

So we try to do something each week that is for just the two of us. It may not be an exciting date night out on the town but it is time alone. It actually may be Subway or McDonald's but hey its the alone time that counts!! We are so blessed to have family so close that wants to watch him once a week for us. Sometimes mom wants to keep him during the day and even though it does sound so nice for me to have alone time during the day I would rather save it for when Josh is home.  Most of the time it is not over night instead it is just 2-3 hours that we have without a child. Some weeks we may even just rent a movie and make some popcorn when he is in bed. The part that counts for us is...I am not on the computer and he is not watching sports and we are doing something together. It is so cute because Wade already knows about date nights. For instance last night I said "you are going to go stay with Mimi for a little while while mommy and daddy have some alone time." Wade says "mommy daddy date." Please please don't think I am bragging but it just works for us. Wade is so important to us but our marriage is more important. The best part is how we race from the car to my parents house when we get home from our date to try to be the first one in to see him. I think it makes us better parents to get out and have some time away. So here's to date nights!!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha-- Brandon and I race too!!! That's funny! You are so right to have those date nights or just time alone. It is so important. You are such a great mommy and wife! I love you girlie!

    ReplyDelete