Monday, February 13, 2012

Westin Kate's birth story-2/6/12 (sorry its a little long)

I can't believe I am actually writing this post at 37 weeks and 1 day. (I started writing this post on 2/5 while I was in the hospital in labor) I had pretty much convinced myself that I would still be pregnant and have to be induced at 39 weeks. The past 2 days however I have felt a little "different" and it made me wonder if something may be happening. I have been nauseated and sick again and just felt uncomfortable. Actually Friday and Saturday night I kept thinking I was going into labor and then nothing would happen.

Well after the Superbowl party I got in bed and could not get comfortable (nothing out of the ordinary) I was cramping some but I figured it was the same thing as the last two nights. I tried so hard to sleep and I could not so randomly sometime around 11-1130 I decided to get out my pump and try pumping. Now I would never recommend this to anyone who is 37 weeks...normally I would say wait until you are past your due date. However nurses make the worst patients AND my doctors wanted to me try to have a baby around 36-37 weeks because of my circumstances. So I pumped for about 10-15 minutes.

After pumping nothing happened. I still felt "restless" so I got up to use the bathroom and after I did I felt a little "leak." I was pretty sure it wasn't urine (TMI I know!!) because I had just used the bathroom but I decided not to wake Josh up yet. I had to wake him up last time too when my water broke with Wade. So now it is after midnight and I was just standing in the bathroom and sure enough I had another small gush but this was enough that I knew it was my water breaking. I went and got Josh and told him to look at it and make sure it wasn't urine. I think I had one more small leak while I was waiting to hear back from the doctor. I called the on call (of course it was the one doctor I had not seen-she was on maternity leave) and she wanted me to come on in. So we got to the hospital around 1250am after my mom got here. They did the first nitrizine test to see if it was amniotic fluid and only a teeny bit turned blue. I told Josh I do not want to be sent home...and that I knew it was my water breaking. Well she waited a few minutes and did one again and it all turned blue immediately. So I was staying at the hospital and we would be meeting our sweet girl soon.

They decided to just watch me over night and see if I would start contracting on my own. They decided that I had a "high leak" and that my bag had not ruptured all the way but just had a leak. However this wasn't great news and I immediately became high risk. The nurse checked me that night and I was 3cm but WK was still really high. Because her head was not engaged I was at risk for a prolapsed cord-meaning if my water broke all the way it could cause the cord to come out first and that is a OB emergency and we did not want that to happen. This did scare me a little; I think because I used to work OB I knew exactly what that meant and I did not want to be put to sleep for a emergency C/S and risk something happening to her. So I had to call the nurse every time I had a large gush of fluid so she could check and make sure the cord was not coming out. I am so so thankful my water didn't break completely at home and that we got there in time to get her head down and ready.

Around 830 am the next morning the on call came in (who was fantastic by the way) and said we needed to start pitocin because I was not contracting regularly. So she started it slow and was hoping I would contract enough to bring her head down. She came back in at 10am and checked me again and thankfully her head was engaged. She broke my water and HOLY COW did I have ton. She said I had Polyhydraminous (too much water) for sure. The nurse said she thinks it may have been the most she had ever seen. So after changing my bed three times it finally slowed down!! After she broke my water I really started hurting. I had about an hour of really painful contractions before I got my epidural. I had about 9 hours with Wade so this was so much better. I got my epidural around 1120am and of course it did the same as it did with Wade; it only took on one side. I was happy though because it cut the pain in half. At 1145 she checked me and they put my catheter in and I was 5cm. I felt ok but not great at this point and around 1pm I had to call the nurse to get more medicine because I was hurting really bad still. They gave me at epidural bolus around 115p and I don't know how much they gave me but after that I was in heaven. At 145p I felt so great that Josh and I both took a nap. I didn't have any pain at all and was able to sleep wonderfully. It must have helped me relax and dilate because I woke up a little before 3p and I was feeling pressure on my right side. The nurse came in and I asked her if I could have another bolus because the epidural wasn't working again. It actually wasn't my nurse (she was busy with another patient) but she wanted to check me and see what was going on. Well she checked me and said "Were about to have a baby!!" Josh had just woken up at this point and we were both shocked. We called my mom and sister and the nurse ran out to find the doctor. She wasn't sure if he was even here or would get here in time. He was actually on his way in and barely had time to change clothes. It was Dr. Anthony on call at this point; I have see him quite a bit and he was great. He said that he almost had to deliver her in street clothes because everything happened so fast. I started to push a little after 3p and it was only 5-6 pushes or 10 minutes and she was here. Much shorter than Wade's delivery. I had to push for an hour with him. I was so happy to have her here and to see her. It happened so quick it felt like I was dreaming. I couldn't believe she was here already. They thought I would have her between 5-7pm and she was born at 313pm. My sister made it in time and came in right after she was born. My parents and Wade got to the hospital right after she was born. I did tear a little because she came so fast so once they got me cleaned up everyone came in. Wade had a big smile on his face when he saw her and was so happy. She is just perfect and we were so thankful everything went so well. It was special to just have Josh and I in the room. Pictures coming soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment