Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tick Off Tuesday

One of my best friends Carrie has started a cute post called Tick Off Tuesday. It's when you blog about something that bothers you or "ticks" you off. Well today I thought I would participate.

"Not every child cries for only three nights when you are doing sleep training"

If I hear this one more time I may scream. When I am telling people that we are making Wade sleep in his own bed now, I hear this every time. "Well the good thing is it only takes three bad nights and then they will sleep" Well come on over to my house because we are well over two weeks of crying it out and he still does not sleep all night without crying. I do understand some kids will stop crying after three short nights but not mine.

He had not been picked up at night since last Friday and I think we may be making some progress. Most nights he will wake up and cry about 30 minutes. Last night he went to bed at 7:40p and woke up at 11 and cried until 1130 and then woke up at 1am and probably cried 15-20 min. The two nights before last he only woke up once. He still wakes up at 530am to eat and I am not even trying to change that yet until we get him sleeping. To be honest it doesn't bother me that much because I feed him and change his diaper and then put him back in his bed and he sleeps until 8am. I think I will stop doing this in April when I am not nursing him anymore. I am thinking I will start giving him a sippy cup with water in it and see if that stops him from waking up so early??? Most people say the night time feeding is the hardest to drop but it will for sure be the 530am feeding for us. I go to the gym a lot at night so Wade is used to getting a bottle (well a sippy cup now!!!) before bed. I have also dropped his 3pm feeding and he gets a sippy cup with breastmilk instead. I have a freezer full of milk that I needed to start using so it didn't go bad. In a couple of weeks I am going to drop either the 11am feeding or the 7pm feeding I have not decided which one yet? Hopefully by March I will only be feeding him twice a day and then in April I will drop those as well and put him on whole milk. Its hard to believe it is already almost time to be doing this. He has grown up too fast. Sorry kind of got off on a tangent but remember not all kids cry for just three nights there are some strong willed children out there that do not like to give up and we have one of them!!! At least he is staying in his bed all night so we are making progress.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, I know it! Hello people-- every single baby is different from the next. You want to be like "just hush and let me raise my baby the way I want to"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya on that one! I was told that babies would cry "45 minutes max." during CIO. Not so with my child. He will cry for his entire nap if I let him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a baby just like Wade. The crying thing took MUCH longer than 3 days for us. Yes, it got better after 3 days, but he was definitely still waking up several times a night and crying way past the 3 days...it seems like it took a LONG time to get him sleeping good. I can't remember how long, maybe I have blocked that part. But, for sure, everything baby is different and not by the book! I have given up on books and decided that since it isn't an exact science, I will do what works for Owen and us, not attempt to follow what some book (or person with a perfect baby) tells me to do :) Good Luck to you!

    ReplyDelete