Friday, March 8, 2013

This may shock you...

So we have had some major changes at the Foltz house lately. It all started on February 15th!! We have officially given up artificial sweetener... so no more diet soda for us. Don't fall over out of your chair but Josh and I have not had a diet soda in 20 days. Now if you know us you know that we LOVE diet mt dew and coke zero so this has been a big change.

Well of course I started researching other things that were in our food and we decided to make a huge change. So on top of the soda we have also cleaned out our freezer and pantry and we are trying to eat mostly whole foods. In the last 20 days I have had fast food twice. This includes Subway and Chick-fil-a. Now we were eating fast food once or twice a week. To be honest I really haven't missed the food at all but I have missed how easy it is to go through the drive through and get the kids lunch. Except for 2 meals I have made every lunch and dinner for almost a month. Now you will really have to pick yourself up off the floor because I used to only cook one or two nights a week :) To be honest the worst part about it is the clean up.

We just decided that if it has an ingredient in it that I can't pronounce or wouldn't cook with then we just wouldn't eat it. So the kids have been eating a lot of fruit for snacks. We did find some Olive oil chips and popcorn at Trader Joe's that both only have 3 ingredients. We are trying to avoid MSG and GMO's so we have been looking for that as well. We are buying almost everything organic if we can. It is a little more expensive but its ok because we all feel better. We don't eat many things with sugar but I do have a half and half tea every day and then I either drink water or lemonade. I have been making some green smoothies for Wade and I and they are actually pretty good. It is amazing how many foods are horrible for you and we thought we were eating healthy. Even at Trader Joe's some of the processed food is really bad for you. We are trying to also buy grass fed milk and cheese and are going to start shopping some locally at a little farmers market store this weekend.

Of course I miss taking a frozen meal out and popping it in the microwave but after realizing they have 30-50 ingredients I decided it was not worth it. Wade of course has him moments because he is used to eating junk but overall he has done really well. I found him some organic dark chocolate and he has been enjoying that here and there. I also found Lara Bars which are similar to granola bars but they only have peanuts, dates and sea salt in them. He actually loves them. They do have some fat and sugar but since we cut out sugar everywhere else we figured it won't hurt him. At school he still gets cupcakes and special treats on occasion and we will still go and get frozen yogurt every now and then for a special treat. Our goal is 80-90% of the time we want to cook and eat whole foods and then 10-20% of the time we will splurge. We also have gotten rid of all white flour foods. So everything we have in the pantry is 100% whole wheat. The pasta does taste a little different but it is actually really good. I still have a lot of learning to do but its a start for us. I still can't believe I have gone almost a month without soda :) If I ever do decide to drink one I will just opt for a real soda because after all my research I am learning that the real sugar isn't great in a coke but it is so much better than aspartame. I wish we would have done this years ago.

Wade has been going to so many fun birthday parties lately. He thinks he is pretty cool stuff because he got invited to two of the girls birthday parties in his class and both moms told us that they hear Wade's name quite a bit at home :) Josh of course calls him a little "playboy" (not around wade of course!!) and Josh could not be more proud. He must get it honest because for some reason these little girls just love Wade. One dad told us last week "I am not sure how this makes me feel!!" because she keeps talking about him. Haha...we are so not ready for him to grow up and have girlfriends. The funny part about it is that Wade is not really into girls these days. At the beginning of the year he would talk about all his girlfriends and now he says that just the boys play and that they don't like to play with the girls!! Wade of course was just excited that he got to have junk food twice in one week! All he talked about was the food and cake :) This was at his friend Ella's birthday party and I forgot to take pictures at Brooke's party because I had WK with me. This is Wade and Kate. Wade, Kate and Ella have all been in school together since they were 2. We love these sweet kids!!













No comments:

Post a Comment