Tuesday, July 27, 2010

1st ER visit

Sorry this is an extremely long post! So here is how the rest of the weekend went. Sunday we stayed home from church because Wade had a runny nose and cough. We did not sleep much Saturday night so we were all tired and cranky. We took lunch over to my parents house but Wade only lasted 15 min because he was so tired. So we came home for a nap. I had to work at 6pm and mom and dad had taken Wade over to my papaw's house for a visit while Josh got some stuff done around here. I didn't call Josh from work because I figured he was sleeping since we were all so tired. Actually Wade went to bed at 8pm and woke up crying at 930pm. I got home at 1130pm and poor Josh was worn out. I took Wade back to our room so Josh could go to sleep on the couch (again!) Once we were sitting on our bed I noticed he was breathing fast and loud. I quickly grabbed my stethoscope and counted his breathing. Well he had some lovely crackles in his lungs and was breathing 50-60 times a minute. (normal for his age is under 40) So I began to think we should take him in but decided to call the nurse line first. Sure enough they wanted to see him and said he would tire out breathing that fast. So at 12am we packed up and headed to the ER.
I forgot my camera but here is my sweet boy's ID band. Luckily the small stand-alone ER in Apex was dead and we got right in. Wade did have a fever and the doctor heard some Ronchi in his lungs as well. So Wade got a breathing treatment. Wade screamed the entire time we had to hold the mask to his face. Bless his heart he kept saying "out" and pointing to the door. Well the albuterol only made it worse; it made him jittery and upset. Not to mention they took his temperature rectally and she put that thermometer so far in his bottom it took everything I had to keep my mouth shut. There was no need for all that. He was pitiful. Well after the breathing treatment we went for a chest xray and Josh stayed with Wade. They had to put him in this contraption device to take the xray. Well long story short the sweet xray tech gave us a warm blanket and Wade laid on my chest and slept for a few minutes. The nurses called him "strong willed" because he literally cried almost the entire 2.5 hours we were there. We were in and out by 220am and he was diagnosed with pneumonia. I did not expect this... he had only been sick for one day? Plus not to mention it is summer time and you usually see this in the winter.

They loaded Wade down with motrin, a neb treatment, a dose of augmentin, and a zythromycin loading dose. So no surprise when 3-4 hours later he started vomiting. He has never had that much medicine at one time. He was so thirsty and kept asking for "wawa" (water) but every time we gave him some he got sick. We literally went through our entire linen closet. They also sent him home with an inhaler and two antibiotics. Meanwhile I have been getting over a sinus infection that I took a Z-pack for. Well Monday morning I felt like I was going to die- the Z pack did not work. My ears and throat hurt so bad and the lack of sleep was not helping. I called my doctor and luckily they were able to call in another antibiotic for me to try. Oh and now Josh has a sore throat. When it rains it pours! I ended up calling my mother in law for her advice (who should be a doctor because she knows so much about everything!) I hope after nursing as long as she has that I will be a wealth of knowledge as well. I thought he was given too much medicine in the ER and did not think he needed to be on two antibiotics and a inhaler. Well she agreed and had a great idea to take him in to see his doctor. So that is what we did. When our doctor walked in he says... "Are you here about the Pneumonia Wade does not have" I just knew it... bless the ER MD's heart. He was just too young but super nice! He miss diagnosed the xray. The radiologist confirmed it was not pneumonia. So we left the office with a diagnosis of bronchitis and he say only to keep Wade on the Z pack and not to use the inhaler or Augmentin. Boy am I glad I went back in. So now Wade has a horrible cough but feels better than Josh and I.

Thank you Thank you to my mom who has taken care of Wade yesterday and today so I could rest. She also took a lot of our laundry and I am so grateful!!! Poor Josh has been working even though he does not feel well. We have not slept much at all the last three nights but hopefully everyone is on their way to recovering. Wade took a 4 hr nap today which was great for both of us!




4 comments:

  1. I hope he feels better soon, and you guys too! Rough weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rough weekend!!! You probably know this since you are a nurse and all, but that dang Augmentin probably was the sole cause of his upset stomach. Caleb was on it as an infant and it tore his stomach up. Then this past spring he was given it again (since he was older) and he threw up with it. I will never get that stinkin' antibiotic for my children again! Hope everyone is 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness....I hope yall feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious!! I hope yall are better soon- it sounds like you are on your way to being healthy again, thank God. I am so sorry all of that mess happened in the ER. I have found that when we go to Urgent Care/After Hours Clinic, they always misdiagnose.

    ReplyDelete