Thursday, May 23, 2013

Granddaddy Thompson

My sweet Granddaddy passed away almost two weeks ago. I wrote an entire post about it but it is saved on my work computer so I will transfer that over soon. He was such a sweet man and he will be missed by so many of us. I have to write down about this picture that I found. Before his funeral my mom asked me to find a picture with him and WK because they didn't have any at his house. So I came home and found this one. Of course it makes me sick that this is the only picture I have of them. I don't know why I didn't take any of her with them at Christmas. Well for some reason I turned this picture over to see how old she was and the date on the back was 5/11/12. It was so crazy because he died on 5/11/13. The one and only picture I have of him and her is exactly one year before he passed away. Such a special picture. He loved our kids so much and I wish he would have gotten to see them more. We really miss him!!





. Almost three weeks ago my sweet Granddaddy had a heart attack. We got a 
call Saturday afternoon and I called out of work and my mom, sister and I all left and went to spend 
some time with him that Saturday and Sunday. I was hesitant about calling out or work and leaving 
the kids at home but now I am SO thankful I did. I got to spend a few hours with him both days. He 
didn't get great news but the doctor told him he had two choices-he could go home and he would live 
anywhere from 1-90 days and would have another heart attack because he had three blockages or he 
could have triple bypass surgery. Well  I honestly can’t believe they offered him surgery but because 
he was in really good shape (besides his heart) they did. He went to the YMCA three days a week and 
would lift weights and do water aerobics with the Silver Sneakers.  He really didn't want the surgery 
and second guessed it but my dad and his two brothers really wanted him to try. I think the only reason 
he did it was for his kids and because he didn't want my grandma to find him in the garden or in the 
house. He actually had the surgery and was doing great. He was up and walking and eating and we all 
thought he would go to rehab and come home. One of the last few things he said to me was “you all 
sure do mean a lot to me!” I was telling him how many people were in the waiting room for him and 
then he told me that. Oh how I wish I would have taken the kids more to visit them-we hadn't been since 
Christmas and that is just too long.  Last Friday night he started to crash and he went downhill fast. I am 
so sad I didn't get there in time to see him before they intubated him-I wish so bad that I would have at 
least called him last week or gotten there sooner. I just thought I would see him Friday night since he 
was doing so well. I have learned to never take that for granted because things can change way too fast.  

He crashed again Saturday and he passed away a week ago today-last Saturday May 11
sad but my dad, uncles and grandma are just heartbroken. He was their best friend. My two uncles live 
on the same street as they do and one lives right beside them. They got to see him every day and this is 
going to be so hard on them.  We still don’t really know why he crashed but we are hoping the doctor 
will tell us soon. I have always heard that if you really aren't sure about surgery than you should not do 
it. We miss him so much and he was such a sweet man.

He LOVED his garden and had already started planting it this year. At 88 he still enjoyed it. He was so 
proud of his huge tomato plants and collard greens. He loved going to Sheetz with my uncle to eat  
dinner and socialize with friends and he would sell his collards there. He also went to the senior citizen 
place once a week. On Tuesdays the bus would come pick him up and take him there. They played 
games and had lunch together. Sometimes they would even take day trips and my Grandma would pack 
his lunch. I was so honored to meet one of his friends from the YMCA and one from Creekside (Sr. 
citizen place) He and my grandma have been married 67 years and I know this has got to be so hard for 
her-she is staying strong for her boys but please pray for them all. We sure will miss him!!! Thanks to 
Nana and Poppy and Kendal/Matthew for helping out with our kids during all of this. They had so much 
fun with you all and we really appreciate it!!


This picture is so special to me. My granddaddy would go to auctions and bid on stuff he liked.  Well he found this bike a month or two ago and has been waiting to give it to Wade. Just makes me sick thinking that he didn't get to give it to him. Oh how I would change that if I could. I told him in the hospital before his surgery that when he got out I would bring Wade over to let him see it. This picture was taken the day after he died. He never got to see him on it. The strange thing was the day before he died he told my mom and my grandma "look at Wade out there in the hallway riding that bike I got him!" Well of course Wade didn't go to  the hospital but I am so thankful that somehow Granddaddy got to see him on it. I guess he dreamed it? 

Also the day before he passed away he randomly told my Grandma when they were talking "I will never be here tomorrow?" Not sure why he said that maybe he knew it was his time to go? Still gives me chill bumps thinking about it!


Oh and my sister is pregnant!! So glad to have some good news around here. I 
have known for a long time now but glad I can finally tell people. She is 13 weeks and starting to feel a 
little better. They tried for a little over a year to have a baby and they are so excited. We can’t wait to 
meet him or her. I am guessing her but sometimes I think boy so I really don’t have any idea!! Thanks to 








1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this Shannon! This is a sweet, sweet picture. Your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete