Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hurry up Saturday!

Well I have learned that being a single mom is harder than I ever thought. This is the first time Josh has left overnight since Wade was born. I am so thankful that his job does not require him to travel. He does have a mid year meeting once a year and that is where he is now. It is from Wed-Sat and in my opinion that is way too long! I had planned to get together with some of my best girlfriends from our old bible study in Greenville today for brunch and then spend the night with Melissa and Tyler because her husband is out of town as well. Well... Wade is sick again, so we didn't make it. He has the worst cough and runny nose and is so pitiful. I am just thankful we have tubes because I just know this would have turned into an ear infection like all the other colds have done. He was even throwing up today from all the mucus and drainage. Despite not feeling well he has been the sweetest and best baby. He has not even cried the last two days and I know he can't feel well. Today he did the cutest thing. He "talks" to Josh everyday on the phone when Josh is at work and he has been doing it more the last couple of days since he is gone. Well I think he is really missing him because today in our room he was looking at Josh's picture on the wall and just smiling and saying Dada. Its so cute because now he knows what Dada means and is not just saying it because its easy to say. Well the phone rang tonight and I did not answer it because it was a sale's call so it just kept ringing. Well Wade kept looking at the phone and looking a me like please answer it. Then after a few rings he started saying Dada, Dada, Dada. He thought it was Josh!!! Precious. Of course I then tried to call Josh but they were at dinner so Wade didn't get to talk to him before he went to bed tonight.

So here is the million dollar question... Our pediatrician wants us to give Wade benadryl for 10 nights before bed to see if it will help him sleep. Well I tried it and it does work pretty well, except he is coughing so much and that is waking him up. At my job we don't recommend it before age 4. But at this point I was willing to try anything to help with sleep. I just hate that I am giving my child medicine to help him sleep???? Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't tell you how I feel one way or the other about giving benadryl to sleep. I have always heard that it was not a good thing, but I can't say that I really know why or what the "cons" are. For us, benadryl is a disaster! So, I would not even think of giving it to Owen to sleep. But, that is because of the way it makes him act. He has had to have it a few times for allergic reactions (twice to Chili's cinnamon apples...weird!). Anyway, each time he has had it, he has been CRAZY!!! I mean, not sleeping a wink, wild and hyper, and almost manic at times. I have decided that unless he is going into shock, he will never get benadryl again :) I would say do some research about the effects, good and bad, long-term, etc. Then do what works for you. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've already talked to you about this, but I agree with Brie-- it makes T-bug VERY hyper too!

    ReplyDelete